During a recent visit to Heather Lisano’s third grade classroom, I noticed her students had written a survey question and responses on the classroom white board. I instantly thought that using a Google Form to create and share a survey question would be an excellent way to gather and analyze data. When I mentioned this idea to Mrs. Lisano and explained how a Google Form presents data in graph form, she was sold. The use of this technology would fit perfectly with her data collection unit and help her students develop proficiency with Google Forms and Classroom. The next day, I visited Mrs. Lisano’s class and taught her students how to create a Google Form and how to share the form via a link in Google Classroom. Below is a video tutorial and written instructions of the lesson. These are excellent resources for any teacher who wants to integrate technology into their data collection unit. I hope you and your students find this tutorial helpful and will use these apps the next time you are working on a data analysis lesson or unit.
Click here for a copy of the directions below that you can share with your class!
1. How to Create a Google Form:
- Open the Chrome browser
- Go to forms.google.com
- Give your form a title
- Give your form a description (if applicable)
- Type your first question – if necessary, click on the question type drop down menu and change the response type from the default short answer to the appropriate question type; multiple choice, checkboxes, etc.
- Type in your responses under the question – if applicable
- Add the “other” option to the question you are asking – if applicable
- Toggle on the “required” button. This will ensure students answer the form.
2. How to Copy and Paste the Link to a Google Form into Classroom:
- Click on “Send” in the upper right hand corner
- Check the box that says “automatically collect respondent’s Burlington Public Schools email address
- Click on the link button (to the right of the email icon)
- Click on the box that says “shorten URL”
- Click copy – the link will be automatically copied to the clipboard
3. Sharing to Google Classroom:
- Open the Classroom app
- Select the appropriate class
- Click on the “+” in the bottom right
- Type the name of the assignment where it says “share with your class”
- Click on the link button – top right-hand corner
- From the menu that appears, click on the link button
- Paste the link to the form by pressing and holding down until you see the word “Paste”
- Click “add” once the link has been pasted
- Click on the send icon in the top right-hand corner (we call it the paper airplane button)
You will have then successfully created a Google Form and copied the link into Google Classroom. I hope you will try this technology soon in math or any other subject! Please contact me or the technology specialist in your building for assistance with Google Forms and/or Google Classroom!